5.10.2010

My orioles

Early May signals the return of one of my favorite birds, the Baltimore oriole. Their brilliant coloring and cheerful song makes them a real standout. This year they endured a grueling migration through an oil spill in the Gulf and record flooding in Tennessee. If I could understand their language, I bet they'd have some interesting tales to tell.

This is the third year that I've used special feeders to attract orioles to my backyard. The first feeder is a very small one that Jeremy and I made from scrap wood and a bit of tin. It has a small perch and an old nail that holds a chunk of fresh orange. It's tucked back in the bird garden near most of my other bird feeders.

I also bought a jelly/orange feeder from my favorite birding website. It has a small glass cup that holds the jelly and two copper spirals that you can twist pieces of orange onto. Clearly a crowd pleaser, I've often seen two orioles feeding from it at the same time.

Lastly is the new feeder that I just put out yesterday. It's made from a really cool antique strainer ladle that I found at an antique mall a couple of years ago ( for only $3.00!). I knew right away that it's bright orange color and shape would make for a fine feeder. Jeremy carefully drilled a small hole through the handle. We then hung it right near the jelly feeder on our pergola, and I filled it with orange flavored suet nuggets.

It's hard to imagine a more pleasing month than May, with the lilacs blooming and the orioles returning to nest. Springtime in the garden holds such a sense of excitement and hope for whatever lies ahead, just beyond that last frost warning.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of your oriole friends! Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it reads like poetry and your photos are gorgeous. I especially love your feeders. I'm going to send the link to your blog to my friends.

    ReplyDelete