4.26.2011

One For The Record Books

This April has been fraught with extreme weather.  On April 10th, we had unseasonably warm temps in the mid 70s.  Conditions were favorable for the development of severe storms.  Around 8pm the tornado siren in our small town sounded.  We scooped up our cat and our laptops and headed for the basement.  We were lucky on this night as the most severe weather was just to the south of us.  Surrounding areas were not so lucky.  Kaukauna, WI experienced the devastating impact of an F1 tornado.  I found the following video footage on YouTube.

 

Menasha, WI was also hit.  I was amazed at the number of mature trees that had been ripped right out of the ground.  Thankfully few injuries were reported. 

This April has produced more tornadoes than any other April in recorded history.



Eight days later, we experienced a record breaking snowstorm.






A week later and it's now rained so much that we've attracted a couple of new visitors to the backyard.



I'm relieved that April is almost over and hopeful that May will be kinder.

And just for fun, here is a video I took today of my newest piece of garden art.  Look deep into the center of the pinwheel.  Focus.  You are getting sleepy.  You are now under my control.  You will come to my house, weed my garden beds, and mow the lawn.


3 comments:

  1. I am getting sleepy, that however will not aide in weeding garden beds or mowing the lawn. It really has been a crazzzy spring so far. Perhaps May will bring some showers ... er flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly was mesmerized by your yard art and have this desire to come sit on your patio, put my feet up and roast marshmallows over the fire pit. Wonderful post. That's neat that you found actual footage of the local damage from the tornado, and I love your snow photo. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a month! It's been slightly less crazy here, with more rain than snow. The flowers are happy.

    ReplyDelete